Thai Inspired Coconut Turkey Soup
This unique spin on a Thai-style coconut soup is incredibly flavorful and satisfying. I love that it has everything I need for a nourishing meal in one bowl. For years people were afraid to enjoy dark turkey meat, but when you focus on pasture-raised high-quality turkey thighs, you get heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and immune-boosting minerals like iron, zinc, and selenium. Plus dark meat is always more tender than white meat, something every chef wants.
- ¾ pound pasture‑raised ground turkey thighs
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pasture‑raised egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (2‑inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 cups low‑sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13.5‑ounce) can unsweetened full‑fat coconut milk
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 small Fresno chili, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 medium bok choy, stemmed and chopped
- 5 kale leaves, stemmed and chopped
- 1½ teaspoons gluten‑free fish sauce, plus more to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 lime, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the turkey meat in a large mixing bowl. Using the finer part of a grater, grate the zucchini and carrot into the bowl. Thinly slice the scallions, adding the white parts to the bowl and reserving the green parts.
- Add the garlic, sesame seeds, ground flaxseed, salt, pepper, sesame oil, egg, and hoisin sauce (if using) and mix together.
- Form and shape the turkey mixture into 2inch balls. Place the balls on a baking dish covered with parchment paper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven when golden brown and fragrant and set aside.
- Meanwhile, start preparing the soup. Heat a large pot with the avocado oil over medium heat. Prepare the lemongrass by peeling off any tough outer leaves and trimming the root end. Lightly smash the stalk with the side of a knife to break it open, cut into 1inch pieces, and add to the pot. Add the shallots and ginger. Using the wide flat side of the knife, smash the garlic and add to the pot, stirring well.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken broth and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Strain the soup using a large fine mesh strainer and add the liquids back to the pot. Add the lime zest and juice, salt, Fresno chili, red curry paste, and the baked turkey balls. Cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and kale to the soup with the reserved green parts of the scallions, letting them wilt. Add the fish sauce, stir, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and individually garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (without hoisin sauce): Calories: 496, Fat: 32 g, Saturated Fat: 18 g, Cholesterol: 114 mg, Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 23 g, Carbohydrates: 19 g, Sodium: 939 mg